Saturday, September 13, 2008

When The Edges Crumble, Part II

Here is what I found out:
THE HIGHER SELF IS CONNECTED TO THAT OF OTHERS.

I love my life here in the Golden Isles, and can give many reasons
why. Among them (in my opinion), the teacher-to-child ratio in
the school system here is just right. Of course (as with any
“immigrant” family) there have been the related challenges. We
arrived in January, midway through the school year. My eldest
son Oscar (who was in the 10th grade in Kenya) was sent back to
the 9th grade… It was kind of demoralizing and many times,
regret started creeping in. Yet, something inside kept saying: it’s
just one year, let’s move on. This “setback” challenged Oscar to
set his eyes on the prize – to work hard, have fun and be the
best “Oscar” he could be. On May 30th of this year, we celebrated
his graduation from Glynn Academy – where he played soccer and
was in the ROTC as a second lieutenant. He is now a freshman
majoring in chemistry at Valdosta State University. I am very proud
of his achievements. The other two boys are also hustling. Allan
is playing soccer for Golden Isle Soccer Club U18, while his
younger sibling Brian is chasing the piece of dead leather at
Coastal Soccer Outreach. Brian is 12 and already playing with
U16… He is also learning fine arts at Glynn Middle School.
He plays the guitar… Way to, “Brayo”. Meanwhile, the two
princesses in the household give me a run for my time. Being
the father and nanny to Kate is a job I love, while Michelle will
always amaze me with her wit as I shuttle her to-and-from
school. Dealing with these two keeps me busier than a day’s
paying job.

The truth is: I love my life. Period.

Turning back to the center - it is here that I will not lose sight
of my purpose on this physical plane. Here, I realize it is best
not to focus on 'what I have lost; but on what I am becoming
due to the loss’. I have stayed away from the edges, as they
are too brittle. Turning to the center of my creation I seek
guidance and my archetype readily provides me with all the
help I need:

Venetia K. Hanratty-Saunders has been a key figure in helping
me realize my dream of serving others. She is the "editor in
chief" for Project Yongo, and has helped keep me in focus with
my life’s purpose… When my son Oscar was moving to Valdosta
to attend college, I went to hire a U-Haul. I became reacquainted
with Jim Bonds - it had been a year since we met. He asked what
I was up to, as he had heard about Sea Island laying-off 300 plus
employees. When I told him I was among them, he graciously
provided me with the keys to his 17-foot moving truck - free of
charge… Due to conflicting schedules and responsibilities,
shuttling Allan and Brian to-and-from soccer practice was
not something I could (realistically) do on my own every week.
When I shared this concern with Donna Johnson, she emailed
me right away saying she had instructed her son Stephen to
shuttle Allan. The Johnsons live 20miles from where we live.
The Saturday before last, there was a tournament in Jacksonville, FL.
Donna took Allan (along with some other kids) to the games. She is a
God sent Angel… what a phenomenal human being... Not to be left out
is my wife Susan. It is her paycheck we utilized for sending money to
Kenya to help with my Grand mamas Funeral. Susan, because of you
Damar had a decent burial. I am proud of you… And in the midst of
this, I am still looking for a job placement. My professional mentor
(and a man I am proud to call my friend) Charles Saunders has been
very instrumental in showing me how to find my way around the
“concrete jungle” using the good, old fashioned computer.

Next weeks posting will begin to uncover my grandma’s stories and
herbal/healing life.

Post Script: In 1992 I went my late grandma for advice about a
small business (like all “business people” I wanted to be a success).
Someone had told me, if you don’t have ‘JUJU’ power you will never
make it. So off I went with this to my secret keeper, and she giggled.
These were her words, and I will do the best I can to translate them
into English:

“There is no known medicine for business. The medicines I
have used for years are being truthful, being able to
accommodate my customers needs, and treating them
with respect - whether they are buying half or all my
merchandise; or just inquiring”.

-Damar Awino the Kagwa Village Herbalist 1906-2008

No comments: